Ancestry.com – onetime payment or montly subscription?

Forums General Ancestry.com – onetime payment or montly subscription?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Hi!

I just read the newsletter titled “DonorChildren.com – FREE Ancestry DNA Test‏”.

Getting a free DNA-test if I buy a 6-months subscription ($99) is a very tempting offer. But I would like to know what happens after my 6-months subscription expires. Will I still be able to manage my Ancestry.com profile and receive news about relatives? Or will it be “locked” requiring that I pay the site on a monthly or 6-months basis in order to access information and have the benefits of the site?

I tried to figure out the details myself from reading on the site but maybe one of you will know and be able to get me the answer.

Profile photo of AdminAdmin

@Ina-Rosdal You’ll have to check with Ancestry on the details, but I am pretty sure it’s like buying the DNA test regularly where the DNA database membership is lifetime with no recurring subscription fees. The $99 subscription to use their other site tools is good for 6 months but you’ll have to pay more to extend the subscription to those features. If you do purchase please go through the DonorChildren link to support the site! Basically it’s a good opportunity to try out the subscription tools Ancestry offers while benefiting from the lifetime DNA membership.

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. That was what I thought but I just need to make sure. In case it surely is a onetime payment (I’m not interested in the extra features whatsoever) I’m pretty sure I’ll take the offer – and of course I’ll go through the DonorChildren link to support the site!

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Ps. How long does the offer run?

I just heard back from Ancestry and they said the current plan is to run the special until August 27, 2014.

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Great! Thank you for contacting Ancestry to get an answer.

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Have any non-American members succeeded in claiming the offer? I followed the link through DonorChildren.com and was about to make my purchase when I discovered that the only country I could select was the United States of America. Scrolling up I noticed that they call the product “U.S. Discovery Membership (Semiannual Subscription)” and I <i>swear</i> that I followed the link from here and clicked on the right things.

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

I just tried their 20% off offer too but that didn’t work for me either (you have to live in the US). Will I just have to pay the full price or does any of you know what to do? @admin ?

Thanks for posting this question @Ina-rosdal. I just emailed my Ancestry contact and will post his response as soon as I get it. Sorry for this problem, hopefully he can offer a solution. I mentioned to him you are in Denmark. Please stand by.

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Okay, sorry for the monologue here but I just found the answer to my own question by signing up for the UK version of the site instead. Their product is currently only available inside the US. You can read along here:

“Welcome to AncestryDNA

The AncestryDNA product is not currently available for purchase outside of the United States. As a valued Ancestry.com customer, you will be notified once AncestryDNA is available in your country.

Please note that dna.ancestry.com is a website operated in the United States and your use of the dna.ancestry.com site and the DNA products offered are subject to United States law and the AncestryDNA Terms and Conditions and Privacy Statement.

To find out more information about the AncestryDNA product please continue to dna.ancestry.com or return to ancestry.co.uk or ancestry.ca.”

Ok cool, so the UK site works for you? Can you still go through the DC link? I’ll still let you know what the rep says when I hear back.

Profile photo of InaIna
    Participant

Hi @admin , did you hear anything from your Ancestry contact? I would still like to purchase AncestryDNA but it doesn’t seem possible for a person living outside the US – something I find really odd.

I contacted him again and he said they are looking at making changes in 2015 to offer DNA tests outside the U.S.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.